This is a blog about me, Seinfeld, okonomiyaki, japanese toilet seats, and other things of interest

Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Songlines

Just finished reading Bruce Chatwin's The Songlines. An interesting mix between a travel book and a philosophical treatise on human nature and nomads. I love the first sentence that sets the scene for an amazing adventure:
In Alice Springs - a grid of scorching streets where men in long white socks were forever getting in and out of Land Cruisers - I met a Russian who was mapping the sacred sites of the Aboriginals.

It is a good book, but I still prefer In Patagonia. In Patagonia has less philosophical musings and more of interesting anecdotes and stories of weird and interesting people and places.

After threehundred-something pages of Chatwin's poetic and philosophical writing, I longed for something drier and more formal. So now I'm reading Economics - Making Sense of the Modern Economy, consisting of a number of articles from The Economist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home