This is a blog about me, Seinfeld, okonomiyaki, japanese toilet seats, and other things of interest

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Spirit Desire



Last night I ventured out west in Sydney to Newtown to see Sonic Youth perform Daydream Nation, their Magnum opus, released in 1988.

Newtown is very different from Manly. Much more like Camden than St. Albans. The venue, The Enmore Theatre, was great; similar in size and feel to Brixton Academy with a great atmosphere. The same can't be said about the opening act The Scientists. I've never heard them before and hopefully I will never hear them again.

Sonic, on the other hand, were magnificent. When the first tones of Teenage Riot started ringing out I got goose-bumps. The sound was crisp clear and not too loud (important for an old cod like me up in the seated section). While Lee Ranaldo and Steve Shelley have aged with dignity, Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore look exactly like twenty years ago. I'm not sure, but I suspect there is a painting of Kim and Thurston by Basil Hallward somewhere.

1 Comments:

Blogger aR!s said...

i already miss concerts; besides the Alec Empire thingy (and that wasn't a real gig) i haven't been to any since i arrived to jpn...
when i come visit u guys - make sure we go to something, anything!

3:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home